Thousands of Batangueño families left empty-handed by a national aid rollout may soon receive relief — not from government coffers, but from their own district representative. Batangas 1st District Congressman Leandro Legarda Leviste announced on Friday, May 22, 2026, that he will personally shoulder the cost of one million sacks of rice for households in Batangas that have been excluded from the Marcos administration’s “Bawat Bayan Makikinabang” assistance program, citing what he described as politically driven discrimination in the distribution process.

Pledge Made at Public Forum, No Government Cost Attached

Leviste made the announcement at the Kapihan ng Samahang Plaridel forum, where he publicly aired his concerns over how relief goods were being allocated — or withheld — across barangays in his congressional district and across Batangas province. He was explicit that the one million sacks would come entirely from his own resources, with no charge to the public treasury and no political strings attached.

“I will give 1 million sacks of rice for all the families who have not yet received government aid in Batangas, because I am saddened by the discrimination in the distribution of government aid,” Leviste said at the forum. “This is my personal contribution, at no cost to government. No need for people to wait for photo-ops, and no one will be excluded.”

The congressman framed his pledge as a direct answer to a documented pattern of exclusion — one that, he said, had denied thousands of families aid they were rightfully entitled to receive under a program publicly presented as universal in reach.

Barangays Holding Stubs Left Without Rice

According to Leviste, the problem became stark when scheduled rice deliveries from the provincial government to multiple barangays in his district were abruptly cancelled — even after distribution stubs had already been handed out to residents. Families were left holding claim stubs for rice that never arrived.

The affected communities were among 84 barangays that were also bypassed when President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. launched the “Bawat Bayan Makikinabang” program on April 24, 2026. Reports indicated that checks worth ₱200,000 each for these barangays had already been prepared as early as April 22, 2026, but were withheld during the official launch event.

Barangay captains who came forward to testify on the matter said they were told by the provincial government that their communities were excluded on April 24 due to what was described as “tampururot” — a colloquial term widely understood to mean political non-alignment or disfavor with those holding power at the provincial level.

What the ‘Bawat Bayan Makikinabang’ Program Was Supposed to Do

When President Marcos launched the “Bawat Bayan Makikinabang” program on April 24, 2026, it was presented as a nationwide universal aid initiative — a commitment to deliver rice to every barangay across the Philippines regardless of political affiliation. The program’s name, which roughly translates to “Every Town Will Benefit,” carried an explicit promise of inclusion.

However, in the days following the official launch, reports from Batangas began to surface indicating that the actual rollout was far from uniform. Certain barangays received aid as promised, while others — particularly those whose local officials were not regarded as political allies of the provincial administration — were reportedly passed over without explanation.

Leviste, whose political alignment differs from that of the Batangas provincial government, has publicly positioned himself as a voice for the communities left behind by the uneven implementation.

Distribution Has Already Begun

Leviste confirmed at the forum that the distribution of his pledged rice has already been set in motion even before his public announcement. The logistical effort is underway in phases, targeting communities and workers who fell through the cracks of the provincial distribution system.

The week prior to his announcement, Leviste turned over 20,000 sacks of rice to the parishes of Batangas City. According to Leviste, the parish-based delivery was made on the recommendation of former Batangas Governor Hermilando “Dodo” Mandanas, with the parish structure chosen deliberately to ensure rice reached ordinary residents through channels independent of the provincial government’s political machinery.

Then on Thursday, May 21, 2026, Leviste distributed an additional 20,000 sacks of rice to barangay health workers, tanods (community watchmen), and other barangay-level workers in his district — frontline community servants who were excluded from the provincial government’s most recent distribution round despite their roles in public service. As of May 21, 2026, a total of 40,000 sacks had already been turned over, indicating that the operation is well underway.

Leviste Calls on Fellow Politicians to Stop Partisan Aid Practices

Beyond delivering rice, Leviste used the forum as a platform to issue a public challenge to local officials across Batangas — and by implication, across the Philippines — to separate politics from the delivery of public assistance.

“I hope my fellow politicians will find it in their conscience to stop discrimination in the distribution of government aid based on politics,” Leviste said. “I am calling on local officials to work together to ensure that assistance reaches every family.”

While the congressman stopped short of naming specific individuals, his remarks left little ambiguity: the problem, as he described it, lay in how local executives were selectively implementing — or actively withholding — programs funded by the national government.

The Scale of One Million Sacks

To put the pledge in perspective, one million sacks of rice — at the standard 25-kilogram sack weight commonly used in Philippine government distribution programs — represents roughly 25,000 metric tons of rice. That volume is sufficient to provide meaningful food relief to hundreds of thousands of households across the province.

Leviste has not yet disclosed a complete distribution timeline for all one million sacks, nor has his office provided details on the sourcing or storage logistics of the rice. However, the 40,000 sacks already delivered as of May 21, 2026, demonstrate that the commitment is not merely symbolic. No formal distribution schedule has been released, though Leviste indicated that the effort will continue until all bypassed families in Batangas have been reached.

Batangas Case Highlights Nationwide Concern Over Aid Politicization

The controversy in Batangas has reignited a broader national conversation about the chronic politicization of government aid in the Philippines. Civil society groups and legislators have raised similar concerns across multiple administrations, pointing to a recurring pattern in which access to public goods is shaped more by political proximity than by genuine need.

The specific allegation here — that barangay officials not aligned with the ruling local political faction were systematically excluded from a national program — echoes documented cases from previous relief operations nationwide. As of May 22, 2026, the Batangas provincial government had not issued any formal response to Leviste’s allegations, according to available reports. Neither the Department of Agriculture nor any national government body had released a statement addressing the reported irregularities in the Batangas rollout of the “Bawat Bayan Makikinabang” program as of that date.

The situation continues to develop as distributions proceed and pressure mounts on provincial authorities to account for the reported exclusions.

Photo credit: Photo courtesy of Leandro Leviste/Official Facebook Page

Originally reported by: wire reports

Fatima Tancinco
Written by

Fatima Tancinco is the Senior Political Fact-Check Lead and National Reporter for Breaking News Negros Oriental. She covers government accountability, defense policy, and institutional integrity across the Philippines.

View all posts →